Fax service is here! We have finally gotten our fax service up and running for the public. So now you can find your documents on the internet using our computers, print it, and fax it to whoever needs it without ever leaving our building. Come take advantage of this new service.
Welcome to 2014. Things will be hopping here at the library again this year. Here are a few of the events you can watch for on our calendar.
• It’s Elementary – our weekly gathering for elementary aged children on Tuesdays at 4 p.m. Ms. Karen leads the kids in book sharing and a craft.
• Preschool Time – bring your preschooler for stories, songs, and a craft with Ms. Karen at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesdays.
• Finding Money at the Van Alstyne Library – there are ways you can find money to finance various needs through our resources, as well as ways to use your library to save money. Borrowing books and videos is only one of those ways. Join us for this program on Jan. 23 at 6 p.m.
• Tween Book Club – the next six-week series will start the first week of February. We’ll announce the book choice in the next couple of weeks. Each week on Thursdays at 4 p.m., children ages 10-12 will meet with Ms. Karen to discuss the chapters of the book read that week and complete a craft connected with the book.
• Gaming Tournament – the annual Teen Council sponsored event is one of our most popular programs. All ages are welcome. Watch this column for more information.
• Poetry Night – another Teen Council sponsored event. Often VAISD will sanction this event for extra credit. More information to come.
• Friends of the Library Spring Event – in the past this event has been an open house with interesting stations and giveaways or a day of games and a trivia competition. If you want to know the early details of this year’s event attend the Friends of the Library meeting Jan. 2 at 7 p.m. here at the library. Otherwise, watch this column for the big announcement.
• Art Contest – another great event sponsored by Teen Council, this is a great opportunity for middle and high school-aged children to have their art critiqued by a college art professor. Prizes will be awarded in each age group. More information to come.
• Summer Fun – reading, contests, performers, movies, and lots of hands-on fun. This summer’s theme is Fizz, Boom, Read with a focus on fun science. Make plans to be a part.
• Library Board – the Library Board has its regular meeting the first Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. They are open to the public.
This is the a time of year when many people clear out the closets and find things “lost” for several months. Keep an eye out for library materials you may have forgotten to return. We have a number of our items that were due as far back as last January and we’d like to have them back. Other patrons would like to enjoy those books and movies.
Hope to see you around the Van Alstyne Public Library this year.